5 useful ways to fill in time when hoping for a job interview
March 4, 2013
In the anxious time after putting in a job application, put your nervous energy to good use by ticking off this checklist:
- Have you alerted your referees that you hope to be calling on them? Have you got their up-to-date contact details? Sent them the job ad and your application? Anything you want to remind them about?
- Is your phone charged, with plenty of credit on it? Have you recorded a sensible message?
- Do you have Skype set up on your computer already? Great – many initial interviews are done by Skype these days. Check that you have a professional-looking profile image displayed, and that you can sit somewhere well lit, where a tidy background will show. Ask a friend to give you some honest feedback on how you come across by video.More on Skype professionalism
- Got an interview outfit ready? This is important even for a Skype interview. It may be ok to work in your pajamas at home, but it would be a very tolerant employer who picked someone who interviewed in night attire.
- Do you display a clean, professional online presence? Do an online search for yourself and see what turns up. If necessary, set your Facebook settings to Friends Only.More on social media and job interviews