8 things you probably don’t expect about your dream job
Last year, I blogged about Kazzie Mahina, who works at her dream job as a mermaid.
It made me think about people I’ve met and interviewed who are doing their dream jobs. I realised that even dream jobs have a downside, though we don’t tend to talk about that.
I don’t know what Kazzie would say, though I suspect unpredicatible hours and insecure work could feature. Here are some thoughts from people who, although happy in their dream job, would also tell you that a dream job:
- wasn’t their first idea of a dream job
- may not pay well
- may involve working conditions that are far from ideal
- may involve high levels of stress
- could may have long hours and few, if any, holidays
- may have parts that are very boring
- might be in a workplace that is not friendly
- took much longer and involved more sacrifices than expected.