10 good reasons to do volunteer work
If you can’t get a paid job, there are at least 10 good reasons to do volunteer work:
- It looks good on your CV and your LinkedIn profile, if you have one
- It may net you some referees
- It gets you out of the house
- You may make some new friends
- Those friends might know someone who’s looking for an employee
- It gives you some structure and meaning to your day
- It may give structure and meaning to your life, especially if you volunteer for a cause close to your heart
- It might turn into a paid job at that organisation – or their head office
- It may open up a whole new career for you, as you try out some work that you may not have been able to do in the paid workforce
- It gives you transferable skills that employers want.
However – there are traps in doing volunteer work – which I’ll address in a later post.
Find volunteer opportunities throughout the country at Volunteering New Zealand.